Monday, June 10, 2013

Sew Vintage!

My husband was feeling very generous and just randomly stopped at an estate sale by the side of the road on Saturday. I take no joy in the fact that someone has died to make this sale possible, but I reverence the chance to get an insiders look at their life through the things that they have left behind, and of course I'm tickled to gather a few "special" finds. Though there was no sewing machine this time, in the corner were 3 ziplock bags filled with various assortments of notions and trimmings. I didn't even bother to sort through them first. For less than $10, here is some of what I found in those bags:
Let me show you some of this in detail:
 I thought it interesting that they advertise this elastic as "shrink resistant." Did elastic shrink too?
And it has a zig zag line to follow for stitching.
 Take a look at the quality of this tiny grosgrain ribbon!
I'm very excited about the various feet and guides in that metal box. They are for a short shank machine, so I think they will work with my old Morse.
 I've not seen a gizmo like this before. It's for mending a hem (the drapes maybe?) or for adding a row of thread guides like a tailor tack. The clear ruler has holes to punch through so your marks are even, but it looks like a lot of trouble to go through. The directions also tell you to punch through a blanket or cork board (which would make it even more difficult to do!) and then you cut the thread between the layers of fabric leaving a thread line. For sewing it might be fine, but I don't think it's a great invention as a thread guide.
This little tool was the invention behind the self threader on our modern sewing machine. Now I can thread all my machines without specticals! The original cost: .25 cents. This was a big splurge!

This sewing machine "attachment" with a copyright of 1946 is similar to, and used just like our modern day darning foot for free motion sewing. Remember that home sewing machines did not offer the "zig zag" or "swing needle" option, so this attachment was recommended for  everything a zig zag could do: mending, applique, buttons, hooks and eyes, snaps, quilting, overcast, darning, buttonholes, and even zippers- in case you don't have the foot.

The kits is almost complete with 2 attachments, a rubber band, and a small embroidery hoop (one side of the hoop is missing) for darning socks, but they recommend a regular size hoop for making buttonholes. They give us a size guide, but let me tell you, it will take some practice to use this tool for making buttonholes! In case the task of maneuvering that needle produces frustration, they've provided a sheet of short testimonials to remind the customer that others can do this:

"I am so happy about my buttonhole maker and sock darner. It certainly saves time and energy. all my neighbors envy me, so I know you will be getting orders from them soon. Frieda Brum, 7838 W. 43rd St. Lyons, ILL."

Don't you wish you had one too??

2 comments:

Thank you! Your message is important to me ♥