Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Sew Alongs Great Way to Learn to Sew

In the "old" days, everyone knew how to sew. Girls watched mom and grandma at the machine and were expected to also learn to sew in order to do their part and keep the family moving along. For the frugal family, sewing was essential. Wade Laboissonniere in "Blueprints of Fashion" says that an early 1950's survey shows that housewives made 21-27 garments a year. That's 2 garments a month! In those days everyone knew how to make a gathered skirt with a waistband from three panels of fabric sewn together.These days it's more rare to find mothers and grandmothers that can teach these well practiced techniques, and with time always at a premium, it's no wonder everyone reaches for any quickest to-the-point answers available on YouTube.

Following a sew along for a specific pattern is a great way to find success with a project because you get training specific to that pattern. I am now 2 weeks into my first sew along with Simplicity 1061, and it is as time consuming as I expected, but even more crazy, I put the start date right before leaving to teach at the ASG conference! Together with not having internet available at our site in San Diego, dealing with credit card fraud while on my trip, files arriving late and refusing to be transferred over the internet, week 2 ended up being sent out  little later than expected. Please accept my apology.

I'm hoping for smooth sailing from here on out, and that you will find some nuggets of wisdom embedded in my own personal methods by and by.

If you haven't joined yet, I invite you to do so. Soon I will be inviting everyone by email to join the sew along pinterest board too. Sort of like Craftsy, I can enjoy your progress too. We each gain satisfaction in our efforts knowing we can help our fellow enthusiast along their way.

Sign up here:
 http://www.sewchicpatterns.com/simplicity.html

As you sew, post comments or questions about week 1 here:

http://sewchicpatterns.blogspot.com/p/simplicity-sew-along-week-1.html

and week 2 here:
http://sewchicpatterns.blogspot.com/p/v-behaviorurldefaultvmlo.html

Have a great sewing day!




3 comments:

  1. Yikes. I hope this next week goes more smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geesh, what a mess but luckily you still look good fabulous and you have. A great attitude that shines thru! Best of luck and smooth sailing,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Your message is important to me ♥